Protect Your Paycheck & What You Love About Life
Life is a journey with unexpected twists and turns. Having the right insurance gives you the freedom to live your life instead of worrying about it. No matter where you are in life, your future needs to be protected. Whether that means enjoying your new baby instead of worrying about hospital bills, or focusing on family—not finances—in a time of need, insurance can help you prepare for all that life has to offer. During the special modified open enrollment, you can enroll and/or increase your existing coverage with no medical questions asked, up to the amount approved for this open enrollment.¹
Short-Term Disability Insurance Features
Surgery, having a baby, or even an illness can keep you away from work. Short-Term Disability (STD) insurance may give you the financial support you need to pay your expenses until you are back on your feet and back to work. This insurance provides you with a weekly cash benefit to help pay for expenses (such as mortgage/rent, utilities, childcare, or groceries) if you are unable to work for a short time due to a covered disability. Medical expenses and job loss are two of the most common reasons individuals file for bankruptcy.2 If you lost your income because you were injured or became too sick to work, would you be able to cover your living expenses, plus additional medical bills? For most people, the answer is no.
What about Paid Parental Leave (PPL)?
Paid Parental Leave is a benefit that will be available to PS&T unit employees upon contract ratification and retroactive to April 1, 2023. Paid Parental Leave will provide eligible employees job-protected, paid time off (up to 12 weeks of fully paid leave without charge to accruals for parental leave completed within seven (7) months of the birth, adoption, or foster care placement of a child (“qualifying event”).
Short-Term Disability insurance serves as a supplement to PPL for anyone who is having a baby. Short-Term Disability, once enrolled or if already enrolled, provides a payment above and beyond your income, PPL, or any other coverage you may have. Having a child can be very expensive and Sun Life’s Short-Term Disability provides the additional financial support you may need when your family is experiencing a life changing event.
You may be eligible for Short-Term Disability insurance as an active, dues-paying PEF member.
PLEASE NOTE: NYS employees are not eligible for New York Disability Benefits Law coverage, therefore this insurance program may be of interest to you! Without this insurance, you may have to use your sick time, vacation time, or even put your paycheck at risk if you are out of work due to a short-term disability.
How it works
You have the opportunity to buy affordable protection that may provide you with a weekly benefit once your claim is approved. This replacement income can help you manage your expenses without relying solely on vacation days, sick pay, or your savings to stay on track with your expenses. If you become too sick to work, or an injury keeps you out of work, and you have a Short-Term Disability policy in place, you’ll submit a claim along with information about your condition from your doctor. If your claim is approved, you’ll receive benefits, as long as you remain disabled according to the policy, until the end of the benefit period of 26 weeks. The money is paid to you directly, and there are no limitations on how it can be spent.
You choose the benefit option that best fits your needs. Your Short-Term Disability benefit payments are not subject to federal income tax and will not be reduced by other income even though you may be entitled to sick leave or have other insurance coverage.
Important points to consider
- Get a weekly check—after your claim is approved—that replaces a portion of your income while you recover from a covered disability.
- Begin receiving benefits in as soon as one day for an injury and eight days for sickness—from the date you are unable to work. You must be under the care of a legally qualified physician.
- Benefits are not payable for disabilities caused by, contributed to by, or resulting from a pre-existing condition for the first twelve (12) months (six (6) months for members 65 and older) following the effective date of insurance or an increase in insurance. A pre-existing condition is one for which an insured has received medical treatment, consultation, care, or services, including diagnostic measures or prescribed drugs or medicine, within the three (3) months prior to his or her effective date of insurance or increase in insurance. Please refer to your certificate for additional details.
- Receive a weekly check for up to 26 week—as long as you are still unable to work due to a covered disability.
- No Short-Term Disability benefit is payable for any Total Disability that is due to:
- intentionally self-inflicted injuries;
- a war, declared or undeclared, or any act of war;
- your active participation in a riot or insurrection;
- or your participation in a felony.
- Provide your survivors with a lump sum benefit if your death occurs while you are eligible to receive a net monthly benefit and your Total or Partial Disability has continued for fourteen (14) consecutive days.
For information regarding your current coverage, or this special modified open enrollment
- Call (800) 767-1840 or (518) 785-1900, ext. 243, opt. 2
- Email the PEF MBP insurance department
View Cristie’s Sun Life story.
How to Enroll During the Modified Open Enrollment
You can enroll between September 1 and midnight, October 31, 2023, during the special modified open enrollment with no medical questions asked up to $400, the amount approved for this open enrollment.¹ If you are already enrolled, you can increase your coverage by two (2) levels (ex: $300 to $500, $400 to $600, $500, to $700), up to the maximum of $700. If you decide you want to apply for a higher coverage amount than offered during the modified open enrollment, you must complete an Evidence of Insurability (EOI) form, also referred to as a medical questionnaire.
Take the time to download the insurance form instructions whether you are enrolling for the first time, or if you are increasing coverage in an existing plan. These instructions will help you to complete the application form properly and ensure a successful submittal.
- To access the online insurance enrollment form, make sure you are signed into the website with your MIN. If you are not signed in, you will not see the insurance enrollment button below, that provides access to the online form.
- Ready to enroll? Please click the button below for access to the application.
- You will not be able to successfully submit your insurance application until all required fields (indicated by a red asterisk *) are completed.
How to Enroll Outside the Modified Open Enrollment Period
For new employees on the job less than 240 days
If you are a new employee (on the job less than 240 days) in the PS&T (Professional, Scientific & Technical) unit, you may enroll with no medical questions asked1 up to the $400 weekly benefit level. If we do not receive your insurance application(s) within 240 days of your date of hire with the PS&T Unit, you can still enroll in the insurances, but you will also need to complete an Evidence of Insurability (EOI) form.
Current, active employees (on the job more than 240 days) in the PS&T unit
If on the job more than 240 days, you must complete the short-term disability application as well as an Evidence of Insurability form (EOI).
You must join PEF before you can enroll in any one or more insurances.
When an Evidence of Insurability Form (EOI) is Needed
1. If you did not elect insurance in your first 240 days of employment with the PS&T unit.
2. If you are increasing coverage on an existing insurance policy.
3. If a PEF MBP representative requests that you complete and EOI form.
If you are downloading and completing the insurance enrollment application and the medical questionnaire, return both to PEF MBP at:
10 Airline Drive, Suite 101
Albany, NY 12205
For more information: Call the PEF MBP at (800) 767-1840 or (518) 785-1900, ext. 243, opt. 2. You may also email the PEF MBP insurance department.
Footnotes, Additional Details & Disclaimers¹If you decline coverage during your initial eligibility period and want to elect coverage or increase coverage at a later date, you are required to complete and submit an Evidence of Insurability application, which must be approved by Sun Life prior to coverage taking effect. For additional information, contact the PEF Membership Benefits Program.
The rates shown above include the PEF Membership Benefits Program Administrative Fees.
This product web page is intended to provide an overview of the benefits available from PEF Membership Benefits Program and is not a complete description of plan provisions. Review of this product web page does not certify eligibility for benefits under this plan. For complete plan details, including limitations and exclusions that may affect benefits, please refer to your certificate.
This information is intended to provide an overview of the benefits available from your employer and is not a complete description of plan provisions. The rates shown include administrative fees. Receipt of this flyer does not certify eligibility for benefits under this plan. For complete plan details, please refer to your certificate.
The group policy provides disability income insurance only. It does not provide basic hospital, basic medical, or major medical insurance as defined by the New York State Department of Financial Services. The expected benefit ratio for this policy is 65 percent. This ratio is the portion of future premiums that the company expects to return as benefits, when averaged over all people with this policy.
The group disability policy contains limitations and exclusions that may affect benefits. Please see the certificate or ask your benefits administrator for information on Elimination Periods, Waiting Periods, and Pre-Existing Conditions limitations. Group life and disability insurance policies are underwritten by Sun Life and Health Insurance Company (U.S.) (Lansing, MI) under Policy Form Series 13-GP-LH-01, 13-LF-C-01, 13-GPPORT-P-01, 13-LFPort-C-01, 13-ADD-C-01, 13-LTD-C-01, 13-LTD-P-01, 13-STD-C-01, and 06P-NY-DBL.
©2023 Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada, Wellesley Hills, MA 02481. All rights reserved. The Sun Life name and logo are registered trademarks of Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada. Visit us at sunlife.com/us.
#1158517486 07/23 (exp. 7/24)