Affordable Dental Care Provided by PEF Retirees
Dental insurance can help lower your out-of-pocket expenses so you and your family can maintain healthy smiles—and better overall health, too. Preventing dental problems with good routines at home and regular checkups at the dentist can make a huge difference in your overall health now and years to come. Even if you don’t have any problems with your teeth and even if you wear dentures, a quick visit to your dentist at least once a year can help you protect a lot more than just your smile.
Sun Life Dental Features
Benefit from a dental plan that pays some or all of your dental expenses for covered services when you visit an in-network dentist after you satisfy your annual deductible—$25 for you, $50 for you and a dependent, or $75 for your family.
$1,500 calendar year maximum
Benefit from a dental plan that does not count preventative services toward a $1,500 calendar year maximum—leaving you with more coverage for more expensive procedures.
Access to a national network of dentists
Visit a dentist from Sun Life Dental Network®1 and you will have no out-of-pocket costs for covered preventive services once you have satisfied the annual deductible. Finding an in-network dentist is easy—simply visit Find a Dentist and choose from more than 14,000 unique providers in New York and New Jersey, and more than 130,000 unique providers nationwide. If you choose to visit an out-of-network dentist and benefit from the same services, you will need to satisfy your annual deductible, pay the difference between Sun Life’s fee schedule and the dentist’s fee for covered services, and possibly submit a claim form.
Spouse/domestic partner coverage
Cover your spouse (or certified domestic partner) and your dependent children so you can help your whole family stay healthy. A spouse or domestic partner can continue in the plan upon the death of the PEF retiree member, subject to maintaining spousal/domestic partner membership in the PEF Retirees and paying dental premiums.
Access to a Vision Service Plan
When you enroll in the Sun Life Dental Plan, you have access to a vision discount plan as well, made available through Vision Service Plan (VSP). This vision plan includes discounts on exams and the purchase of prescription eyewear when provided by VSP network doctors. The discount plan is available for you and everyone covered under your dental plan.About the Vision Service Plan (VSP)
Dental Plan Eligibility
Here are a few things to consider once you are ready to sign up:
- You must be a current dues-paying member of the PEF Retirees at the time of your enrollment to be eligible for the New York State PEF Retirees Dental Program.
- Coverage for dependent children will end on the last day of the month in which they turn 19, or age 25 if a full-time student.
- If you apply within 120 days of a Qualified Status Change (e.g., you get married), you can change your coverage to PEF retiree only, PEF retiree and a dependent, or PEF retiree and family.
- If you terminate your dental coverage, you will not be allowed to re-enroll in coverage at a later date. However, if you previously terminated your coverage and have a Qualified Status Change, you may re-enroll if you do so within 120 days of the date of your Qualified Status Change.
Dental Plan Enrollment
Enroll today and pay your premium through pension deduction. When enrolling, reference group number 935636. Three (3) enrollment options available:
- Call Sun Life at (844) 738-8118, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., EST, to speak with a live Customer Service Representative.
- Email your enrollment form to Sun Life.
- Fax the enrollment form to Sun Life at (519) 342-6858, or (844) 295-7779.
Download the enrollment form below and mail to:
PEF Retirees Dental Plan
c/o Sun Life
Member Adjustment Dept.
P.O. Box 725
Windsor, CT 06095
Once Sun Life receives your request for enrollment, Sun Life will confirm with the PEF Membership Benefits Program that you are a current dues-paying member of PEF Retirees, and you have not previously been enrolled in the PEF Retirees dental plan. If you are eligible, it will take 8-10 business days for your identification cards to be printed and mailed.
When the enrollment process is complete, you can begin taking advantage of the vision discount plan through the Vision Service Plan (VSP). The vision discount plan is not insurance.
Important Information & Tools for Dental Enrollees
Once you are enrolled in the Sun Life Dental Insurance Plan, you will find this information and the links below of value.
PEF Retirees Dental Plan Group Number: 935636Find an in-network provider Access your dental ID card Plan details Nominate a dentist
1. Call Sun Life at (844) 738-8118
To update your personal information:
- Call Sun Life at (844) 738-8118 Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., ET, to make updates to your personal information (i.e., name changes, address changes, incorrect date of birth or Social Security number). Mention group number 935636.
- For questions regarding the PEF Retirees Dental Plan, call (518) 785-1900 or (800) 342-4306, ext. 288.
- For billing, email the PEF Membership Benefits Program or call (518) 785-1900 or (800) 342-4306, ext. 243, opt. 4.
Footnotes, Additional Information & Disclaimers¹Sun Life dental insurance does not provide coverage for pediatric oral health services that satisfies the requirements for “minimum essential coverage” as defined by The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (“PPACA”).
²Sun Life’s dental networks include dentists contracted with Dental Health Alliance, L.L.C.® (D.H.A.®) and dentists under access arrangements with other dental networks.
In New York, group insurance policies are underwritten by Sun Life and Health Insurance Company (U.S.) (Lansing, MI) under Policy Form Series 15-GP-01 and 16-DEN-C-01.
© 2019 Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada, Wellesley Hills, MA 02481. All rights reserved. Sun Life and the globe symbol are trademarks of Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada. Visit us at www.sunlife.com/us.
SLPC 29820 10/19 (exp. 9/23)