Protect Your Paycheck & What You Love About Life
Life is a journey with unexpected twists and turns. Having the right insurance gives you the freedom to live your life instead of worrying about it. No matter where you are in life, your future needs to be protected. In a time of need, insurance can help you prepare for all that life has to offer.
Long-Term Disability Insurance Features
A serious illness or injury can turn your life upside down for months—or even longer—and it might, also, mean you aren’t able to work. If this happens, Long-Term Disability (LTD) insurance may give you the financial support you need so you can focus on getting better. Sun Life’s Long-Term Disability insurance, made available through the PEF Membership Benefits Program, is available to help you return to work and your normal routine as quickly as possible.
You may be eligible for Long-Term Disability insurance as an active, dues-paying PEF member.
PLEASE NOTE: Restrictions apply for hourly members and per diem members are not eligible for coverage. NYS employees are not eligible for NYS Disability Benefits Law Coverage, therefore this insurance program may be of interest to you. Without this insurance, you may have to use your sick time, vacation time, and even put your paycheck at risk if you are out of work for an extended period of time.
How it works
Long-Term Disability insurance provides you with a monthly benefit to help pay for everyday expenses (such as a mortgage, rent, utilities, childcare, or groceries), if a covered disability (e.g., back injuries or some chronic illnesses such as a heart attack, cancer, or stroke) takes you away from work for an extended time. The definition of disability is the inability to engage in the material and substantial duties of your own occupation during the first two-and-a-half years that benefits are payable. Thereafter, disability is the inability to perform any occupation for which you are or can become qualified for with training, education, or experience.
The Long-Term Disability plan offers two levels of coverage from which you can choose: 50% or 60% of your monthly income based on your salary on file at the time of disability, up to $7,500 per month. Your LTD benefit will be based on your monthly income, and it will not take into account earnings from investments or savings plans. The plan will offset benefit payments by other sources of income for which you may be eligible (e.g., workers’ compensation, Social Security; disability pension, or other NYS retirement payments, etc.).
Important points to consider
- Get a monthly check—after your claim is approved—that replaces 50% or 60% of your monthly income based on your salary on file at the time of disability, up to $7,500 a month, while you recover from a covered disability.
- Begin receiving benefits in as soon as six (6) months from the date you are unable to work. Receive a monthly benefit for up to the maximum benefit period or Social Security Normal Retirement Age if you are disabled before age 60—as long as you are still unable to work due to a covered disability. If you are disabled after age 60, you are eligible to receive a monthly benefit from one year to five (5) years, depending on your age.
- No Long-Term Disability benefit will be payable to you for any disability that results from a pre-existing condition. A pre-existing condition is one for which you took medication or received treatment during the six (6) months before your effective date, or the effective date of an increase in your insurance. The exclusion applies only during the twelve (12) months (six (6) months for members age 65 and older) following your effective date.
- No Long-Term Disability benefit will be payable for any Total or Partial Disability that is due to:
- intentionally self-inflicted injuries;
- war declared or undeclared or any act of war;
- your active participation in a riot or insurrection; or
- your participation in a felony.
- Qualify for additional benefits if your covered disability begins with a hospital stay of fourteen (14) days or more.
- Work with a certified rehabilitation specialist, when appropriate, to create a return-to-work plan that’s right for you.
- Provide your survivors with a lump sum benefit if your death occurs while you are eligible to receive a net monthly benefit and your total or partial disability has continued for 180 consecutive days.
- Choose the benefit amount that best meets your needs and your budget. Your cost depends on factors such as your age, monthly earnings, and the benefit amount you elect.
Available benefit amounts and costs based on a 26 bi-weekly pay period
Why choose Sun Life long-term disability insurance
Long-Term Disability insurance can be costly. The program benefit that the PEF Membership Benefits Program provides through Sun Life is a group policy, so the rates are generally less expensive than what you will find if you try to purchase a plan elsewhere.
In addition, the PEF Membership Benefits Program’s Long-Term Disability insurance includes the following features:
- Retro Disability benefit–pays benefits retroactively to the first day of disability if you are hospitalized within 48 hours of disability, and then remain hospitalized continuously for fourteen (14) days or more, and remain totally disabled through the end of the Elimination Period.
- Survivor Income benefit–a three-month Survivor Income benefit that pays a lump sum equal to three times your monthly benefit after Total or Partial Disability has continued for at least 180 consecutive days and while you are eligible to receive a monthly benefit.
- Residual Disability–you do not need to be Totally Disabled during the Elimination Period.
- Return-to-work benefit–the plan pays a Return-to-Work benefit if you return to work on a part-time basis.
- Assisted Living benefit–pays an additional 20% of total monthly earnings or $5,000, whichever is less, if you are disabled and are also cognitively impaired or unable to perform two or more activities of daily living.
- Rehabilitation benefit–pays a Rehabilitation benefit if you participate in a rehabilitation program approved by Sun Life.
To learn more about Long-Term Disability insurance, call the PEF Membership Benefits Program at (518) 785-1900, ext. 243, opt. 2, or (800) 342-4306, ext. 243, opt. 2.
View Cristie’s Sun Life Story.
How to Enroll
For new employees on the job less than 120 days
If you are a new employee (on the job less than 120 days) in the PS&T (Professional, Scientific & Technical) unit, you may enroll with no medical questions asked¹. If we do not received your insurance application(s) within 120 days of your date of hire with the PS&T unit, you can still enroll in the insurances, but you will need to also complete a Medical Questionnaire/Evidence of Insurability.
Current, Active Employees (on the job more than 120 days) in the PS&T unit
If on the job more than 120 days, you must complete the 120 long-term disability form as well as an Evidence of Eligibility form.
You must join PEF before enrolling in any one or more insurances.
If you are a member already and still within your 120 days from date of hire, complete the LTD 120 Form. If over 120 days since your first date of employment, complete the 120+ Day Form and mail it to:
When an Evidence of Insurability Form is Needed:
1. If you did not elect insurance in your first 120 days of employment with the PS&T unit.
2. If you are increasing coverage on an existing insurance policy.
3. If a PEF MBP representative requests that you complete an EOI form.
If you are downloading and completing the insurance enrollment application and the medical questionnaire, return both to:EOI Form
10 Airline Drive, Suite 101
Albany, NY 12205
For more information: Call the PEF Membership Benefits Program at (518) 785-1900, ext. 243, opt. 2, or (800) 342-4306, ext. 243, opt. 2. You may also email PEF Membership Benefits Program.
Footnotes, Additional Details & Disclaimers¹If you decline coverage during your initial eligibility period and want to elect coverage or increase coverage at a later date, you are required to complete and submit an Evidence of Insurability application, which must be approved by Sun Life prior to coverage taking effect. For additional information, contact PEF Membership Benefits Program.
²Keep in mind that other sources of income could impact your benefit amount. The rates shown above include the PEF Membership Benefits Program administrative fees.
This product web page is intended to provide an overview of the benefits available from the PEF Membership Benefits Program and is not a complete description of plan provisions. Review of this product web page does not certify eligibility for benefits under this plan. For complete plan details, including limitations and exclusions that may affect benefits, please refer to your certificate.
The group policy provides disability income insurance only. It does not provide basic hospital, basic medical, or major medical insurance as defined by the New York State Department of Financial Services.
In New York, group insurance policies are underwritten by Sun Life and Health Insurance Company (U.S.) (Windsor, CT) under Policy Form Series 13-GP-LF-01, 13-LF-C-01, 13-GP-LH-01, 13-ADD-C-01, 13-LTD-C-01, 13-STD-C-01, 06P-NY-DBL, 07-NYSL REV 7-12, GP-A, GC-A, 12-GP-SD-01, 13-SD-C-01, 12-GP-01, 12-AC-C-01, 12-GPPort-01, 13-LFPort-C-01, 13-ADDPort-C-01, 12-STDPort-C-01, 12-ACPort-C-01 and 13-SDPort-C-01.
©2020 Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada, Wellesley Hills, MA 02481. All rights reserved. Sun Life Financial and the globe symbol are registered trademarks of Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada. Visit us at www.sunlife.com/us.
SLPC 26895 1/18 (exp. 5/22)