Protect Your Paycheck & What You Love About Life
Life is a journey with unexpected twists and turns. Having the right insurance gives you the freedom to live your life instead of worrying about it. No matter where you are in life, your future needs to be protected. Whether that means enjoying your new baby instead of worrying about hospital bills, or focusing on family–not finances–in a time of need, insurance can help you prepare for all that life has to offer.
Short-Term Disability Insurance Features
Surgery, having a baby, or even an illness can keep you away from work. Short-Term Disability (STD) insurance may give you the financial support you need to pay your expenses until you are back on your feet and back to work. This insurance provides you with a weekly cash benefit to help pay for expenses (such as mortgage/rent, utilities, childcare, or groceries) if you are unable to work for a short time due to a covered disability.
You may be eligible for Short-Term Disability insurance as an active, dues-paying PEF member.
PLEASE NOTE: NYS employees are not eligible for New York Disability Benefits Law coverage, therefore this insurance program may be of interest to you! Without this insurance, you may have to use your sick time, vacation time, or even put your paycheck at risk if you are out of work due to a short-term disability.
How it works
You have the opportunity to buy affordable protection that may provide you with a weekly benefit once your claim is approved. This replacement income can help you manage your expenses without relying solely on vacation days, sick pay, or your savings to stay on track with your expenses.
You choose the benefit option that best fits your needs. Your Short-Term Disability benefit payments are not subject to federal income tax and will not be reduced by other income even though you may be entitled to sick leave or have other insurance coverage.
Important points to consider
- Get a weekly check—after your claim is approved—that replaces a portion of your income while you recover from a covered disability.
- Begin receiving benefits in as soon as one day for an injury and eight days for sickness—from the date you are unable to work. You must be under the care of a legally qualified physician.
- Benefits are not payable for disabilities caused by, contributed to by, or resulting from a pre-existing condition for the first twelve (12) months (six (6) months for members 65 and older) following the effective date of insurance or an increase in insurance. A pre-existing condition is one for which an insured has received medical treatment, consultation, care, or services, including diagnostic measures or prescribed drugs or medicine, within the three (3) months prior to his or her effective date of insurance or increase in insurance. Please refer to your certificate for additional details.
- Receive a weekly check for up to 26 weeks—as long as you are still unable to work due to a covered disability.
- No Short-Term Disability benefit is payable for any Total Disability that is due to:
- intentionally self-inflicted injuries;
- a war, declared or undeclared, or any act of war;
- your active participation in a riot or insurrection;
- or your participation in a felony.
- Provide your survivors with a lump sum benefit if your death occurs while you are eligible to receive a net monthly benefit and your Total or Partial Disability has continued for fourteen (14) consecutive days.
To learn more about Short-Term Disability insurance, call the PEF Membership Benefits Program at (518) 785-1900, ext. 243, opt. 2, or (800) 342-4306, ext. 243, opt. 2.STD Brochure
View Cristie’s Sun Life story.
How to Enroll
For new employees on the job less than 120 days
If you are a new employee (on the job less than 120 days) in the PS&T (Professional, Scientific & Technical) unit, you may enroll with no medical questions asked 1 up to the $400 weekly benefit level. If we do not receive your insurance application(s) within 120 days of your date of hire with the PS&T Unit, you can still enroll in the insurances, but you will need to also complete a Medical Questionnaire/Evidence of Insurability form.
Current, active employees (on the job more than 120 days) in the PS&T unit
If on the job more than 120 days, you must complete the 120+ short-term disability form as well as an Evidence of Eligibility form.
You must join PEF before you can enroll in any one or more insurances.
If you are a PEF member already and still within your 120 days from date of hire, complete the STD 120 Form. If over 120 days since your first day of employment, complete the 120+ Day Form and mail it to:
When an Evidence of Insurability Form (EOI) is Needed
1. If you did not elect insurance in your first 120 days of employment with the PS&T unit.
2. If you are increasing coverage on an existing insurance policy.
3. If a PEF MBP representative requests that you complete and EOI form.
If you are downloading and completing the insurance enrollment application and the medical questionnaire, return both to PEF MBP at:
10 Airline Drive
Albany, NY 12205
For more information: Call the PEF Membership Benefits Program at (518) 785-1900, ext. 243, opt. 2, or (800) 342-4306, ext. 243, opt. 2. You may also email PEF Membership Benefits Program.
Footnotes, Additional Details & Disclaimers¹If you decline coverage during your initial eligibility period and want to elect coverage or increase coverage at a later date, you are required to complete and submit an Evidence of Insurability application, which must be approved by Sun Life prior to coverage taking effect. For additional information, contact the PEF Membership Benefits Program.
The rates shown above include the PEF Membership Benefits Program Administrative Fees.
This product web page is intended to provide an overview of the benefits available from PEF Membership Benefits Program and is not a complete description of plan provisions. Review of this product web page does not certify eligibility for benefits under this plan. For complete plan details, including limitations and exclusions that may affect benefits, please refer to your certificate.
The group policy provides disability income insurance only. It does not provide basic hospital, basic medical, or major medical insurance as defined by the New York State Department of Financial Services.
In New York, group insurance policies are underwritten by Sun Life and Health Insurance Company (U.S.) (Windsor, CT) under Policy Form Series 13-GP-LF-01, 13-LF-C-01, 13-GP-LH-01, 13-ADD-C-01, 13-LTD-C-01, 13-STD-C-01, 06P-NY-DBL, 07-NYSL REV 7-12, GP-A, GC-A, 12-GP-SD-01, 13-SD-C-01, 12-GP-01, 12-AC-C-01, 12-GPPort-01, 13-LFPort-C-01, 13-ADDPort-C-01, 12-STDPort-C-01, 12-ACPort-C-01 and 13-SDPort-C-01.
©2020 Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada, Wellesley Hills, MA 02481. All rights reserved. Sun Life Financial and the globe symbol are registered trademarks of Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada. Visit us at www.sunlife.com/us.
SLPC 26896 1/18 (exp. 5/22)