Provided by the National Safety Council
Courses provided are approved by the Department of Motor Vehicles, and include:
- $25.50 for the classroom course
- $19 for the online course
The course is available to all active, dues-paying PEF members and retirees, as well as immediate family members who reside in New York State.
To be eligible for this discounted rate, you must complete the National Safety Council’s 6-hour DDC through one of PEF MBP’s approved classroom locations, or you may take the online course.
Take Advantage of These Key Benefits
- Refresh your driving knowledge
- The number of points on your driving record used to calculate the number of total points received within 18 months, will be reduced by 4 points. (PLEASE NOTE: taking the course does not remove a violation, conviction, or the number of points from your driving record. Most violations, convictions, and points will continue to show on a driving record for up to 4 years.)
- 4 points are ‘subtracted’ for the purpose of calculating a suspension if you have 11 or more points the tickets/points do not physically come off your driving record
- Reduce the base rate of your auto and motorcycle insurance premiums 10% each year for three years
- Improve your overall driving skills
Completing a course does not:
- Prevent a mandatory suspension or revocation
- Eliminate your responsibility to pay a driver responsibility assessment
- Reduce a future driver violation point
Who Should Take the Course
- New drivers just receiving their driver’s license
- PEF members, retirees, and immediate family members who spend a lot of time behind the wheel
- Violators who have incurred points on their driving record
- Anyone who wants to lower their insurance
- You receive a 10% discount from the base rate of your current liability, no-fault, and collision premiums (including property damage, bodily injury, and personal injury protection) each year for three years.
- The three year discount applies to premiums for all vehicles for which you are listed as principal operator, including:
- Recreational vehicles
The New York State Point System is a way for the NYS DMV to identify and take action against high-risk drivers. The DMV assigns points for certain traffic violations. If you get 11 points in an 18-month period, your driver license may be suspended.* Taking a DMV-approved Point and Insurance Reduction Program course will help to prevent you from losing your license if you have accrued more than 11 points on your driving record. The National Safety Council Defensive Driving Course is a DMV-approved provider.*May be taken once every 18 months for point reduction.
Upon Successful Completion of the Course
An official National Safety Council Certificate of Completion is mailed to you.
For classroom courses:
Certificates are issued from the National Safety Council in Syracuse, NY. Leave adequate time for receipt of the certificate.
- If you do not receive your certificate from your classroom course and you reach out to the National Safety Council within 3 months of taking the course, they will send you a new certificate at no cost.
- To request a new certificate if the above applies to you, please contact the National Safety Council in Syracuse at (800) 962-3434 (select option #1).
For online courses:
Certificates are issued from Safety Serve. Leave adequate time for receipt of the certificate.
- If you do not receive a certificate from your online course, please call Safety Serve at (800) 775-1484. You will need to speak directly to a representative and you will need to provide your date of birth and your license number.
- Your successful completion status is electronically transmitted to the NYS Department of Motor Vehicles.
If you are eligible, the DMV will apply the point reduction to your driving record.
Learn more about point reduction via the Point and Insurance Reduction Program (PIRP—also known as the Defensive Driving Course)
To register or for more information use the buttons below:Traditional Defensive Driving Online Defensive Driving