Discharge of Official Weapon: Legal Representation
The PEF Membership Benefits Program provides a benefit to members who are subject to a criminal investigation with legal representation provided by Feldman, Kramer & Monaco, P.C.
Legal representation key features
- Representation is available to active, dues-paying PEF members only.
- Representation, if needed, is provided by an attorney from the member’s local area.
- Telephone advice is available nationwide, 24-hours a day through the law firm of Feldman, Kramer & Monaco, P.C., at (888) 830-8212.
- Fifteen (15) hours of covered benefit.
PEF members who are subject to a criminal investigation as a direct result of the discharge of their official, employer-issued (or approved) weapon, while acting within the scope of his/her New York State employment or duties.
- Representation is provided free of charge for up to 15 hours, from the initial contact until the completion of a presentation to the Grand Jury, if any, for members involved in connection with the discharge of their on-duty weapon. When this 15 hour benefit is exhausted, the PEF member may agree to privately retain a participating attorney for service. Additional services will require a retainer agreement established between the attorney and the covered member. Fees are based on a reduced hourly rate.
- Members must seek reimbursement of any reasonable attorney’s fees from the State of New York pursuant to Article 37 of the PEF/State of New York Collective Bargaining agreement and Public Officers Law Sec. 19.
- In addition, members are required to reimburse the PEF Membership Benefits Program if such attorneys’ fees are recovered.