About PEF Retirees & the PEF Retirees’ Mission
The Public Employees Federation Retirees represents over 18,000 New York State retirees of public service, retirees of non-New York State units represented by PEF, as well as the spouse or domestic partner of a current or deceased retiree member. Many of our retiree members were also active PEF union members.
PEF Retirees is a not-for-profit organization advocating for current and future public service retirees and their families. PEF Retirees advocates for the protection and enhancement of your retirement benefits including secure retirement with a secure pension, affordable, quality health insurance, and the preservation of both Social Security and Medicare, just to name a few.
As a public employee, you should never take your benefits for granted. The benefits of retirees are continually scrutinized by the government as they face ongoing budget issues. Your health insurance, social security, and Medicare benefits are always at risk and the best way to ensure that you have those benefits for a lifetime is to join PEF Retirees. Your membership in PEF Retirees helps to bring awareness the ongoing concern of retiree issues ranging from the well-being of retiree colleagues, to the protection of pension benefits and health care issues. The PEF Retirees actively lobby for improvements in their pension system, their health care benefits, tax liabilities, and other aspects of retirement living via the legislative process. Membership in PEF Retirees also affords retirees the opportunity to purchase dental and vision plans not generally provided to retirees.
But, for PEF Retirees to be effective in their lobbying efforts, they need your continued support through active membership. Protect your life and the valuable benefits you earned from your years of public service during retirement—join PEF Retirees today! Two membership classifications are available to choose from; one for prior active, dues-paying PEF union members, and the second for individuals with no prior dues-paying member participation in PEF.
PEF Retirees mission statement
- Provide necessary, high quality membership benefits at the lowest possible cost.
- Identify critical issues on both the federal and state levels that may impact the pension and health care security of the members.
- Educate members about critical issues that will enhance their life during retirement.
- Advocate and lobby on behalf of PEF Retirees for pension, health care, and economic security enhancements.
- Work for the election of candidates endorsed by PEF and the PEF Retirees and cooperate with the Regional Political Action Committees (PACs) to support local candidates.
- Coordinate with other organizations throughout New York State to further the goals and objectives of the PEF Retirees.
What you should know
- The political effectiveness of retirees is potentially enormous because legislators know that mature citizens (and their families) vote. By concentrating their demands through a strong retiree organization, PEF Retirees can achieve our legislative and benefits goals.
- Members of the PEF Retirees continually talk to their members of the New York State Assembly and Senate on behalf of retiree issues.
- PEF Retirees are part of a coalition of 27 public employee retiree organizations who represent state, county, and municipal public employee retirees.
- PEF Retirees make common cause with local and state senior citizen organizations.
- PEF Retirees work with the Public Employees Federation and have a representation on the PEF Statewide Political Action Committee.
PEF Retirees are continually changing, adding to, and improving their benefits program for members of the PEF Retirees.Join PEF Retirees
For more information, questions, or concerns regarding the PEF Retirees, please: