Eastern Gateway Community College (EGCC)
EGCC is currently enrolling existing and new students in the Free College Benefit for the Spring term. There is currently no new direction from the Department of Education regarding the Free College Benefit at EGCC beyond this spring term. New or returning students should work directly with EGCC to determine their enrollment eligibility and options.
Central State University (CSU)
CSU is no longer offering the Free College Benefit as it was originally designed. CSU is working with existing and new students on an individual basis to provide no and low-cost options. New and returning students should work directly with CSU to determine their enrollment eligibility and options.
- Call (877) 301-3772
- Additional information can be found here.
Save Money on Your College Education
The PEF Membership Benefits Program, in partnership with Eastern Gateway Community College and the Student Resource Center, provides all active, dues-paying PEF members, retirees, and their families, the opportunity to save money on an associate degree or certificate degree program. The degree programs are delivered online, providing convenience in terms of accessibility, flexibility, and balancing home, family, and work commitments.
This benefit is available to all active, dues-paying PEF members, retirees and their:
- Spouses and domestic partners
- Children, including stepchildren and children-in-law (no age limits)
- Financial dependents
Free Online Associate Degree Program
Eastern Gateway Community College, an accredited college located in Steubenville and Youngstown, Ohio, makes available a “last dollar scholarship” for an associate degree program. The “last-dollar scholarship” is intended to fill the gap between any federal, state, or employer education grants received, and the cost of tuition, fees, and e-books for certain online degree programs at Eastern Gateway Community College. Two (2) online degree program options are available.
To take advantage of this no cost educational opportunity, you must determine if you are eligible. The process requires the investment of your time to complete the application process and submit the necessary supporting documents.
EGCC is currently enrolling existing and new students in the Free College Benefit for the spring term. There is currently no new direction from the Department Of Education regarding the Free College Benefit at EGCC beyond this spring term. New or returning students should work directly with EGCC to determine their enrollment eligibility and options.
Associate degree subject areas:
- Associate of Arts (General Studies & Transfer)
- Business Management
- Criminal Justice
- Healthcare Administration
- Health Services
- Professional Office Management
- Social Work
- Teacher Education Degree (Associates of Arts)
Certificate subject areas:
- Patient Health Navigator
- Business Management
Certificate of completion subject areas: (formerly focus areas)
- Cannabis Fundamentals
- Cyber Security
- Data Analytics
- Digital and Social Media Marketing
- Environmental Science
- IT Help Desk
- Hospitality–Food and Beverage Management
- Hospitality–Hotel and Event Management
- Human Resources Management
- Labor Studies
- Operations Management
- Programming and Development
- Project Management Fundamentals
- Sustainable Environments
- Waste Management
Associate Degree subject areas offered, with some content fees:
- Fire Science
- Information Technology Degree
- Health Information Management
Certificate subject areas offered, with some content fees:
- IT–Linux and Security
- Medical Coding Specialist
- Medical Scribe Specialist
To get started, click the get started link below, or call (888) 590-9009.Get Started
Learn More About These Programs
Visit the PEF MBP Free and Low-Cost Degree Program promotional website to learn more about this exciting opportunity for you and your family members.
- The FAQs about the benefit, step-by-step process, and class starts.
- The “Get Started” link (specific to each program) to get you started with this great education opportunity. You will need to have your PEF Membership Identification Number (MIN) handy to access the “Get Started” information and process. How to register or sign in to apply.
- For the associate degree or certificate, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and submit any required verification. Any grant award must be applied to tuition, fees, and e-book charges.
- Agree to use any employer-provided educational assistance.
- Verify high school or GED completion by having official transcripts sent to Eastern Gateway Community College.
About The Partnering College
Eastern Gateway Community College (EGCC): One of the fastest growing community colleges in the country. It is a public, open-access college and part of the University System of Ohio, governed by the Ohio Department of Higher Education, and regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, the accreditor of most public and private institutions in the Midwest. EGCC is a national Achieving the Dream College, an American Association of Community Colleges School of Excellence, and is recognized nationally for its efforts to prepare a diverse student population for career services.